Tuesday, June 15, 2010

VBS

Vacation Bible School
When I was a kid, it was a different ball game. We marched in from the front steps with pride and recited the pledges to the flag, the Bible, and the Christian flag. We sang old Hymns and there was no jamming out. After the assembly part, we went to each station. Then, our parents picked is up. That's the old way...
The new way is so much more engaging. It's all about getting the kids to have fun and making the connection between God and our lives. This year I have the 4 year olds. It's so much fun watching them interact with each other... not to mention it's soooo nice having children who will listen and do what they are told. I haven't had to repeat myself!! They say the darndest things. Yesterday in Bible lesson, we were talking about God making us. Each child went around the circle, said their name, and God made me! When it got to be a little boy's turn, he said his name and then said..."My mommy and daddy made me!!" The grownups died laughing. How true he was!! The Bible lesson teacher said, "Yes, but God created you." I thought it was a good cover. The theme for Bible school is cowboys and girls. I didn't know so many kids in Guntersville owned cowboy boots!! Tonight during recreation, the kids threw water balloons at each other. Each kid was soaked from head to toe!! And we still had an Bible lesson and Missions to go to. I think a few boys and girls were cold.
VBS has made me remember how much fun little kids are. They are so full of energy and spunk. They always keep you going.